Curtains are not necessarily accessories that you have to look at every day. We understand that very well. Curtains have to be functional, if it’s up to us. Dark enough so that you can sleep well at night, but at the same time a colour that makes you happy.
Now that you’re looking at those curtains, you can ask yourself the following question. Are my curtains hanging okay? Aren’t they too long, and are the curtain rails hanging in the right place?
- If you hang curtain rails, make sure the rails are long enough. Always make sure the ends are longer than the window itself. A curtain rail as wide as a window is therefore a real don’t.
- Do not hang the curtain rails directly above the window. Always keep enough space between the rails and the window. If you don’t do this, it’ll look like the rails are stuck to the window. And you want to avoid that anyway. Just believe us! Curtain rails directly above a window? Don’t.
- Curtains too short. And we really mean too short. Not a few centimeters, but really clearly too short. You don’t want that. Not only does it give the room a corny look, but the curtains don’t come into their own if they’re the wrong length. Having curtains that are too short is quite common, but is definitely a real don’t.
Some examples of don’ts can be found below. Luckily we also give you do’s right next to examples.
- Make sure that the curtain rails are between 25 and 30 centimetres wider than the window. It is especially important that the end of the rails is not the same width as the window.
- The best position for a curtain track is 1/3rd of the wall above the window. Sounds a bit tricky, but that’s not so bad. Divide the space above the window into three parts. The first part, which is closest to the window, is the best position for the curtain rails.
- Of course you’d rather not have a curtain too long. It is therefore not the intention that a curtain rests on the ground. The perfect length of a curtain? That’s when the curtain almost kisses the ground. With the emphasis on almost. A touch, but not quite.
So? Are your curtains hanging in the right position? If not, you can start with the tips above. Have you ever looked at your curtains like this before? For this blog we had never looked at our curtains in such a penetrating way before. 😉