The costs and long waiting times for garden renovation or remodelling can be quite high. There are often additional costs for materials and plants. However, there are certainly ways of doing things in the garden on a low budget! For example, you can use old bricks to make a planter, sow your own grass and create borders.
Create a garden design or have it designed
Even if you are going to renovate the garden yourself, it is possible to make a garden design. You can either make a garden design yourself or have one made by a landscaping company.
A garden design makes sure that all wishes and needs are clear in advance. Do you want to make room for the rotary dryer? Or do you need space for containers and a playground?
By mapping out all your wishes and needs beforehand, you will not face any unpleasant challenges. It would be a shame if the ground anchor of the rotary dryer is already in place, but the rotary dryer turns out not to have the necessary space.
Recommendations for creating your own garden design
Are you going to make a garden design yourself, or will you have one made by a landscaping company? Then please read the following tips.
- Look online or in garden and home magazines for garden inspiration. Collect all the inspiration to create a mood board.
- Divide the garden into different functions and elements (lounge, dining area and play area, etc.).
- Make choices about the different types of planting and paving. Also consider biodiversity and native plants.
- Don’t underestimate the value of decoration and lighting. Decide in advance where you want lighting elements.
- Determine the available space.
- Define the budget.
- Clear out the old garden yourself before starting on a new garden design. Especially if a landscaping company is going to work on the garden. By emptying the garden yourself, you save a lot of money.
Tools to create a garden design for free
If you are handy, you can make a garden design yourself. You can do this with various free online tools. With these tools, you can design a garden, terrace or balcony. You can choose to use a basic design and develop it further, or to start with an empty canvas. A big advantage of this is that you learn a lot during this process, and it can remove any doubts.
Examples of useful free tools are:
- Google SketchUp
- Virtual Garden
- Gardena My Garden
Reusing materials and plants
When clearing the garden, you may come across materials, paving or planting that you can reuse. Collect all reusable items in one place so that nothing is thrown away unnecessarily.
Do you have leftover bricks, but are planning to use other paving stones? Don’t throw the bricks away! You can use bricks to make your own planters or borders.
Let a basic design be constructed
Do you want to do your garden properly, but don’t have the budget for it? Then take a look at the possibilities of having a basic design laid out by a gardener. Think of sleek tiling, planters and borders. Once the basis has been laid, you can start working on the finishing touches and filling in the details yourself.
Instead of having grass laid down by yourself, it is a cheaper option to sow grass. If you are going to sow grass, it is good to know that it requires a lot of maintenance. In addition, you will need a lot of patience before any results are visible.