Taking care of the String of Pearls is not easy. The plant does not tolerate wet feet. What’s also not easy is its official name. The String of Pearls is officially called Senecio Rowleyanus. A true hanging plant with its striking foliage as an eye-catcher.
- String of Pearls (Senecio Rowleyanus)
- Vase with water or flowerpot with fresh potting soil
Step-by-step plan for the propagation of a String of Pearls (Senecio Rowleyanus)
- Clean the scissors beforehand. It is best to use pure alcohol or disinfectant.
- Then cut a stem of at least 10 centimeters.
- You can propagate a String of Pearls in two ways: in water or in soil.
Propagating with water: Remove the bottom leaf of the cuttings. Then place the cutting in a vase with water. Make sure you change the water at least once a week. As soon as the roots are about 5 to 10 centimeters long in water you can repot them.
Propagating in soil: Put the cutting directly into a flowerpot with fresh soil. Make sure the soil dries up well between watering sessions. After one month enough roots have developed and you can consider the cutting as a small plant.
Whichever method you choose, it doesn’t matter much to the String of Pearls!
Tip: Do you want a packed String of Pearls? Then stick the cuttings to the mother plant after rooting. This will give the plant a nice full look.