The Bromeliaceae, or Bromelia family, is a colourful family of flowering houseplants. The Bromelia pineapple, which we call pineapple plant, also belongs to this family. With the Pineapple plant you are 100% guaranteed of a tropical touch in your home.
Taking care of the pineapple plant
A pineapple plant loves sunlight. In moderation or otherwise. Just at a distance, because direct sunlight can burn its crown or leaves. Indirect sunlight, on the other hand, is perfect!
The water requirements of a pineapple plant?
- In summer: 1x per week
- In winter: every 10 days
Tip! Water through the crown of the plant. In other words, the place where the fruit grows.
Pineapple plant cuttings and propagation
You can’t really propagate a pineapple plant, but you can grow your own. The lifespan of a Pineapple plant is quite short, which is why cuttings are not really possible.
How can you create such an extra Pineapple plant?
- Cut off the crown of a pineapple.
- Remove the flesh from the crown.
- Then it’s time to cut away the lower leaf of the crown.
- You put a pineapple plant in water. To prevent the entire crown from floating in water, you need safeprikkers.
- Take 3 or 4 safepicks and prick them into each corner of the crown. Then hang the crown with his butt in a glass of water. The safeprikkers can be supported on the glass.
- Tip: Don’t forget to change the water at least once a week.
- After a few weeks you will see root formation at the bottom of the crown. When the roots are around 15 to 20 centimetres you can repot the crown.
With a few months the crown grows into a real Pineapple plant. It really does!