Stairs can be pretty boring. Although the function of a staircase, especially if you have one or more floors, is certainly necessary. It may be that in your case the stairs have a prominent place in the living room. We have collected the best ideas to brighten up the stairs and the space around them.
Paints with templates
You can choose to only paint the risers. Or you can just paint the whole staircase. In one colour or a different shade for each step.
In addition to a basic colour, you can also add figures and patterns to the stairs. You can buy ready-made templates or get to work yourself. Place the stencil on the stairs and spray latex paint over it. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly before removing the stencil.
Tip: are you going to paint the entire staircase? We recommend to skip one stair tread at a time. So you can still climb the stairs after painting. The next day you can pick up the unpainted steps.
Getting started with wallpaper
Wallpaper on stair treads? No, it’s not that successful in most cases. Of course, wallpaper on the risers is!
- Measure all risers. It is possible that not all stair treads are exactly the same height (or wide).
- Then shade the risers on the wallpaper. If you then cut the risers from the wallpaper, it is useful to cut a few centimeters extra. This way you create the perfect fit.
- Then apply glue, Mod podge or wallpaper paste to each riser and to the back of the wallpaper. Then stick the piece of wallpaper on the riser. You can crush air bubbles or other bumps with a wallpaper wiper.
- Were those extra centimeters of wallpaper too much? You can cut away excess wallpaper with a utility knife. Do not do this until the glue has dried completely.
- Satisfied? Then it is wise to spray over the risers with (acrylic) lacquer. You can choose from high gloss, satin and matt.
Replace the risers
If you have a bigger budget you can also replace the risers. Risers are for sale at every DIY store. Most risers are between 20 by 120 centimeters. If there are different sizes, it’s best to inquire at the DIY store.
A new banister
Replacing the banister gives the stairs a completely new look in no time. A small difference, but very effective.
If you don’t feel like it or don’t have the money for a new banister, you can of course also get to work yourself. With a pot of paint you can get very far. A small difference in colour, even if it’s only on the banister, can be a huge difference.
Does the wall next to the stairs have any room left? Then of course you can work with photos, frames and/or paintings. Did you know that even one picture frame makes a big difference?