Window panels can make (or break) a room. Without, a space can feel bare, but with, a space can surely make a statement. The finishing touches like curtains, accessories, pillows, are so important to give a space character, pop, and completeness. Without the layers, a room simply looks blah and boring.
Window treatments, specifically curtains (or as I call them drapery panels), are tricky for some. All the choices – length, width, fabric style, color, privacy, blackout, room darkening (and the list goes on…) – gets people caught up, resulting in bare, blah walls, the wrong style, and/or not positioning them best on the wall (which you can learn more here). When it comes to curtains, I feel where you buy them and the specific fabric is less important than how they are actually hung on the wall, which totally makes a room.
Thankfully with the internet, there are many stylish AND affordable window treatment options for any style space. And here’s something you might not know, many retailers that sell curtains have an even larger selection and range of lengths on their website (like Target), so a little searching is well worth the time.
Upon a friend asking me for curtain direction for her home and a recent trip to Target where I saw some new and very beautiful curtain designs, I decided to share my Top Ten Online Resources for Affordable Curtains.
These are the places I shop most…
1. Target: 1- Threshold Paisley Panel / 2- Threshold Fretwork Border Panel / 3- Mudhut Suzani Panel
2. World Market: 1- Gemma Floral Curtain / 2- Bird & Botanical Burnout Panel / 3- Whippoorwill Curtain
3. Pier One: 1- Vintage Vine Panel / 2- Nature’s Floral Panel / 3- Papaya Tile Panel
4. West Elm: 1- Woodland Canvas Panel /2- Ironwork Flocked Panel / 3- Desert Marigold Panel
5. Etsy: 1- Window Panels by Melissa / 2- 20 Daisy Street / 3- Rocky Top Design
6. Overstock: 1- Madison Park Aramo Panel / 2- Madison Park Emerson Arabesque / 3- Lush Prima Panel
7. Ikea: 1- Malin Figur Curtain / 2- Vivan Curtains / 3- Kajsamia Curtains
8. Urban Outfitters: 1- Vine Flourish Curtain / 2- Papercut Medallion Curtain / 3- Magical Silk Sari Curtains
9. Wayfair: 1- Elisabeth Michael Chevron Panel / 2- Amelie Window Panel / 3- Isabella Damask Curtain
10. ZGallerie: 1- Montecito Panels / 2- Geo Panels-Steel / 3- Mimosa Panel
When shopping for window treatments, take your decor style into account to see what drapery treatment (grommet, pinch pleat, etc) works best. Some are more traditional, while others more modern or transitional.
As for the bottom of the curtains…
Many stores carry only the 84″ length curtains where if you go online, they offer longer lengths like 96″ and 118″. I always prefer the 96″ length curtains for 8′ or 9′ tall ceilings so they just touch or break the floor. When the 84″ length curtains are hung above the window, at the best height, they’re usually not long enough. Fabric can easily be cut/sewn to be shorter, but extra length can’t be added.
Here’s a helpful diagram of the differing lengths and looks…
Option are endless. Online and in-person, you’ll find a variety of different window treatments. Before moving forward, evaluate your space & window condition, then look at your design style. Have fun on your search for new stylish AND affordable curtains!
Where have you purchased curtains online? What’s your favorite curtain resource?
If you liked this post, share it!