Valentine Burlap Wreath

January 27, 2011

Even though I said goodbye to the Christmas decor days after the 25th of December, I only took down my Christmas wreath from the front door last week . The wreath didn’t scream Christmas, but it was time to say ‘See you next year’!  So the entrance to our home was naked.  My bare apple-green colored door just wasn’t cutting it till Springtime, so I adorned it with a crafty, handmade Valentine Wreath.

DIY: Valentine burlap wreath with handmade felt flowers by @Jenna_Burger, SASinteriors.net

Ta-Da…  The new and improved front door, dressed for V-day!  It’s beautified with the newly created handmade wreath using burlap and a few pretty flowers!

Supplies

• Wire hanger (from any ole’ laundry mat or cleaners)
  • Scissors
  • Burlap
  • Florist wire (optional)
  • Plyers
  • And some crafty lovin’

Here’s the Process

Start with a wire hanger…everyone has them, right?  NO…not I.  I actually had to get one from my friend, Paula (thanks Paula!).  I am SOOO against hanging clothes on wire hangers and the only way to prevent my husband from hanging his clothes on them is to TOSS EM’.

Total diversion…  Here’s the next step…

Round the wire hanger (you may need two hangers depending on the size wreath you want to create), to look like this.
The wire hanger is probably too difficult to bend with your fingers (unless you’re the Hulk), so a pair of plyers or two, will definitely be helpful!
1. Cut your burlap (I used 3/4 yard for the whole project / 1 yard was $3+/-) into 4″ wide strips.
2. Fold the burlap strips into an accordian style (as shown).  The fold should be about 3-4″ wide.
3 / 4. Poke and feed the wire through the center of the new accordian bunch.  Just keep on doing this until you create you wreath and you’ve used enough burlap to cover the wire.  I would actually recommend using at least one yard so the wreath is dense.  (I only had 3/4 yard at the time).
5. This step is optional.  If you have to attach two pieces of wire hanger, then follow this step.  I had to piece-meal two pieces together and attached the wire hanger with thin wire (florist wire) is good.

Done!

Well…NOT YET!
???

How about pretty little flowers? Yes, that will do the trick.

Welcome to My home

The flowers are made of felt and I attached them with a safety pin to the burlap, so I can use the wreath for other occasions throughout the year.

Do you love these little felt flower beauties?

Check out the Felt Flower Tutorial {HERE}

How do you adorn your front door for Valentine’s Day?

If you liked this post, share it!

facebooktwittergooglepluspinterestinstagram stumble uponemail

Comments

1. Love this!!! I am making this today!! Thanks for the tutorial.

2. Jennifer Hunt says:

Hi there! I found your link on the Bliss at home FB page.. this wreath is too stinking cute!
    Following you on GFC and facebook!

3. Green Door Girl says:

very cute! I love it!

4. That is just darling!! I love it! Thank you for sending me over to see it :)

5. Jenna @ SAS Interiors - Simple. Affordable. Stylish. says:

Thank you for all the kind comments! Check out the tutorial on how to make the felt flowers: http://www.sasinteriors.net/2011/01/tutorial-felt-flowers.html

6. Patty Loyde says:

I bought some burlap recently and now have something to fo with the extra. Thank you!

BTW, you can bring wire hangers back to the dry cleaner. So much better than throwing them out.

7. LocalFunForKids says:
  8. Turned out great! P.S. I love your background!

Would love if you came and linked up:

9. Rachel {BubblyNatureCreations.com} says:

I love how you used a hanger!!! It looks so pretty.

Please share this over here: http://www.bubblynaturecreations.com/2011/02/project-party-weekend-flavored-lip.html

We would love to have you join us!

10. What brand/paint color is the front door? Thanks!

• Sorry Heidi that it took me so long to get back to you. For my front door, I used Valspar Olive Tree WV34010 in a satin finish. What are you painting?

11. Thanks for the tutorial! I tried making one today, but the burlap just bunched together and left an open spot at the top. Any suggestions?? Thanks!!

• You may need more burlap Melissa so the wreath has a tighter look. If you don’t use enough burlap (which happened to me at first), you’ll have gaps in the wreath. I hope that helps!

12. Very pretty Jenna! Thanks for sharing. Forgive me if you have this posted somewhere, but what color is your door? I am thinking about painting our door green ;-).
    Brittany (aka Pretty Handy Girl) recently posted..Tool Tutorial Friday – How to Use a Caulk Gun

13. I am IN LOVE with the fluer de lis hanger! So beautiful! Where ever did you find it?? Your wreath is gorgeous too! ;)

• Candie, I bought the fleur de lis door hanger through Willow House. I just checked and I don’t see it anymore. You should take a look at their decor – so beautiful. Jenna

14. How big is this wreath…what is the diameter? Thank you!

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

CommentLuv badge