Tutorial: Felt Flowers

January 28, 2011

Yesterday, I shared with you my newly created Valentine Burlap Wreath.  When the burlap was complete, it looked a little bare, so I added some pretty red felt flowers to {dress it up}

Supplies
  • Felt (any color you choose ~ I chose red for Vday)
  • Scissors
  • glue (I prefer and recommend hot glue because it adheres fast)
  • buttons (optional)
  • And, of course, your crafty little fingers!
Let’s begin with the petal flower
1. Cut out 6 petals that are about 1″ wide by 1-1/2″ long (follow the shape above).
2. Cut out 6 more petals that are slightly smaller.
I created a template on a piece of paper, which I cut out and traced it onto the felt to create the petals.  Then I trimmed the paper to create a smaller template and proceeded to step 2.
3. Using glue (hot glue works best), dab a little on the end of the larger petal.
4. Lay the smaller petal on top.  Put another dab of glue, and pinch it together.  WARNING (just kidding, it’s not that bad): this step might burn a little.
5. Proceed with steps 4 and 5 till all your petals are DONE!

We’re not done just YET….
To keep the petals together, cut out a circle from the felt and glue it onto the back of the flower.  (From this pic, you can also see my tracing marks…they’re in the back, so who cares!)

Done…A beautiful felt flower is perfectly created for this lovely holiday!

Onto the Felt Rosette
1. Start out with a 6″ x 6″ square
2. Draw a continuous spiral on the square
3. Cut on your line

4. Starting with the point from the center of the square. Starting wrapping the felt round, and round, and round.  Dab a little glue after every few wraps.
5. Finish the rosette with a dab of glue once you get to the end.
 Make One, Make Many

These simple creations can be used anywhere…add them to any wreath to {dress it up}.  Or how about for your next gift arrangement, or hairclip?!  Enjoy!

I’m linking up to these linky parties

If you liked this post, share it!

facebooktwittergooglepluspinterestinstagram stumble uponemail

Comments

1. Green Door Girl says:

great tutorial! I am saving this :)

2. Lisa Cash says:

Popping over from Shabby Nest. I love those flowers – very cute! Thanks for the great tutorial!

3. CandaceAshley says:

Love love love this! I adore burlap, and this gray burlap is divine! Excellent tutorial! Enjoy your day!

4. What a wonderful post. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm going to bookmark your page for future reference. Thanks for sharing! They are adorable.
    Lynn at Cottage and Creek

5. Roundabout says:

Love this wreath! I'm going to have to try this out.

6. I love your felt flowers! The buttons are the perfect touch : )
    craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

7. SmileMonsters says:

It turned out so cute! Great flowers.

Jo @ SmileMonsters

8. This would be a great entry for my Valentine's Day Challenge going on now!

9. Love your felt flowers Jenna. I'm voting for you from the Valentine's Day Challenge at Life of Bliss. Great inspiration – I'm thinking I have a ton of leather scraps around that might just work!

10. jodi@Pleasant-Home says:

Love the petaled Flowers! Love them. I'm voting for you for the Valentines Day Challenge at Life of Bliss!

11. Would love for you to join us at the Hugs and Kisses Valentine's Party!

12. Kristen @ ladybug-blessings.com says:

that is gorgeous!! I love it! I would love for you to come link up to Handmade Tuesdays @ Ladybug Blessings. http://www.ladybug-blessings.com

13. oooh i luv the pop of colour on the wreath.

Don't forget to link it in our linking party this week.

Maggie

14. dizzytina says:

Wow that is fab thanks for sharing tina x x http://www.scratchycatcrafter.blogspot.com

15. What a wonderful tutorial. The flowers look so cute, I think I’m going to add some to a few of my daughters t-shirts – to cover up some stains! Thanks for the idea :) I shared it on Pintrest too.

• Thanks so much Nancy. These felt flowers were so fun to create and are not just great for Valentines day, but really anytime of year. Thanks for the kind comment. xo Jenna

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.

CommentLuv badge